Shu-Pui Li joined the Central Bank of U.A.E. (CBUAE) in November 2018 and is currently the Advisor to H.E. the Governor of Central Bank of UAE. His major responsibilities include the implementation of the Fintech Strategy and establishment of a FinTech Office for the CBUAE; implementation of the National Payment Strategy and the continued enhancement of the financial market infrastructure of U.A.E.; and the provision of advisory support to the digital transformation of the CBUAE.
Prior joining CBUAE, Shu-Pui was the Executive Director of the Financial Infrastructure Department of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) and spent 17 years at the HKMA. His work covered the following areas:
- In charge of the Fintech Facilitation Office (FFO) of the HKMA, which helps build the fintech ecosystem in Hong Kong and promote Hong Kong as a fintech hub in Asia;
- Development and promotion of the financial infrastructure in Hong Kong, including the four large value payment systems (covering USD, HKD, euro and RMB), the faster payment system (7*24 payment system), debt securities clearing and settlement systems and research on digital currency issued by central bank;
- Continued development and promotion of the largest RMB offshore centre and infrastructure worldwide in Hong Kong, which has on average close to one trillion RMB turnover on a daily basis. Related key projects included the enhancement to liquidity provision, mutual fund recognition, stock connect and bond connect, which allow mainland RMB financial products to be available at the off-shore centre.
- Development of the soft infrastructure in Hong Kong, including implementation of the deposit protection scheme, investor and consumer education, enhanced competency framework for banking practitioners, and currency and note printing; and
- Coordination with overseas central banks and service providers to facilitate cross-border cooperation in financial infrastructure development.
Shu-Pui had also worked for the JP Morgan and Chase before joining the HKMA and was in charge of the Information Risk Department for the entire Asia region.
Shu-Pui is a qualified Chartered Accountant (FCA) of the Institute of Chartered Accountant England & Wales, a qualified Chartered Information System Engineer (CEng), a certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) and a member of the British Computer Society (MBCS). He has also obtained a Masters degree in research of computer graphics and a Bachelors (1st Class Hons) degree in Computing Science at the University of Manchester